Program occurred on April 11, 2022
Remember the Women Institute and the Human Rights Program at Roosevelt House, Hunter College, presented this symposium, along with co-sponsors the Consulate General of Israel in New York and Pace Women’s Justice Center.
To view the complete list of speaker biographies, please click here.
Greetings and Introduction
Jessica Neuwirth, Rita E. Hauser Director, Human Rights Program at Roosevelt House, Hunter College; Dr. Rochelle G. Saidel, Founding Director, Remember the Women Institute; Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, Chair, House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform; Hon. Adva Vilchinski, Consul for Public Policy, Consulate General of Israel in New York.
Artistic Responses to Intimate Partner Violence
Display of clothing of victims Jana Lynne Mackey and Simeonette (Sissy) Mapes from December 2021 exhibition in Washington, D.C., and introduction of She’s Gone video – Dr. Rochelle G. Saidel.
Virtual tour of the She’s Gone exhibition, clothing of Israeli intimate partner violence murder victims – Keren Goldstein and Adi Levy.
WE RISE, an art installation organized by Art Connects New York for New Day, an emergency shelter for intimate partner violence survivors that was run by NYC’s HRA. Introduction by activist artist Cat Del Buono, curator and organizer, and exhibit video.
Panel One – The Voices of Activists Who Know
– Moderator, Dr. Shoshannah Frydman, Executive Director of Shalom Task Force
– Alayne Katz, Chair of the Board of the Pace Women’s Justice Center, sister of victim Gail Katz Bierenbaum
– Theresa Mapes, founder of Sissy’s Angels, mother of victim Simeonette (Sissy) Mapes
– Marjorie Puyol, survivor of intimate partner violence and doctoral candidate
– Lily Sanders, author of Truth to Triumph, intimate partner violence survivor and expert
– Aryn Quinn, founder of WeCare and author of forthcoming Dying for Love
Theatrical Response to Intimate Partner Violence
Presentation of “All Databases are Incomplete,” a play by Cynthia L. Cooper. Introduction by Cynthia L. Cooper. Video of the play performed by professional actor Lisa Pelikan.
Panel Two – Combatting Intimate Partner Violence
– Moderator: Rosemonde Pierre-Louis, Chief Operating Officer, NYU McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy and Research
– Judge Judy Harris Kluger, Executive Director, Sanctuary for Families
– Nechama Bakst, Senior Director of Family Violence Services, Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty
– Dr. Alana Morgan Ramjit, Computing Innovation Fellow, Clinic to End Tech Abuse (CETA), Cornell Tech
– Bea Hanson, Senior Advisor, New York City Mayor’s Office to End Domestic and Gender-based Violence
Dr. Rochelle G. Saidel
Thank you to the co-sponsors, donors, panelists, moderators, creative artists, and staff who all helped to make this symposium possible. Major support for Remember the Women Institute’s intimate partner violence projects has been provided by The Edward and Holli Gersh Foundation, The Embassy of Israel to the United States, The Five Millers Family Foundation, Ariela Heilman, Patti Askwith Kenner, and Marilyn Thypin.